Answers to Your FAQS about North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Benefits and Rules (Part II)

July 22, 2009, by Michael A. DeMayo

Who is in charge of directing your medical care?

In general, your employer or the employer’s insurance company is in charge of offering and directing your course of treatment. If you don’t like the physician that your employer commends you to, it’s up to you to petition the North Carolina Industrial Commission to compel your employer to find another doctor. Be sure to get any changes in writing prior to receiving treatment, or you may not get reimbursed. In some cases, in which your employer or your employer’s insurance company does not behave fairly, the Commission may mandate certain terms of treatment. In the event that you need emergency medical assistance, obviously you should get it. If your employer or the insurance company subsequently refuses to pay for that treatment, you should contact the NCIC as quickly as possible within reason to discuss your situation.

Is it true that you can’t collect compensation for the first week you’re off of work?

In general, the first seven days you miss work due to your disability will not be covered by so called “Lost Wage Compensation.” However, if your disability lasts longer than 21 days, you will be able to start collecting — just not for days 1 through 7.

Are compensation payments always made weekly?

Under most circumstances. However, the NCIC can in some situations mandate that you get monthly checks instead.

How much money should you expect in terms of benefits?

In general, you should expect two thirds of your weekly wage with a maximum of $816 per week (according to 2009 rules).

Can you continue receiving benefits after you return to your job?

In general, no. Once an employee is able to go back to work, his or her benefits end.

How can you find out your North Carolina Workers’ Compensation claim number and the insurance carrier that your employer uses?

The North Carolina Industrial Commission maintains a statistics hotline at (919) 807-2506 to answer these questions.

What should you do if your employer does not acknowledge or otherwise refuses to honor your claim?

In general, it’s a good idea to connect with a North Carolina workers compensation attorney ASAP. You also should notify the NCIC and all relevant healthcare providers.

More Web Resources

North Carolina Industrial Commission

NC Workers Compensation Act


Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}', expecting end of file in /home/ncarwork/public_html/wp-content/themes/demayo_blogs/footer.php on line 107