Answers to Your FAQS about North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Benefits and Rules (Part I)

July 24, 2009, by Michael A. DeMayo

Is there a non-profit state agency that can provide unbiased information about North Carolina workers’ compensation benefits, eligibility and rights?

Yes. The North Carolina Industrial Commission (based out of Raleigh) is reachable at (919) 807-2500. You can also contact workers comp info specialists directly toll free at (800) 688-8349 or email someone for assistance at

If your employer does not report your injury, for whatever reason (e.g. negligence, refusal to assist), is there anything you can do?

Yes. Collect a claim Form 18 or Form 18-B and file it with the NC Industrial Commission within two years of your on the job injury.

Can injured employees get benefits for using chiropractic services?

In some cases, yes. If your employer’s insurer allows, you can have up to twenty visits to a designated chiropractor paid for, provided that the services are “medically necessary.” If you require more chiropractic services, the chiropractor needs to contact the employer directly.

If you have been injured at work, what steps should you take immediately?

First of all, tell your employer — both verbally and in writing. It’s very important that you keep track of all of your correspondence and file it and date it. You should make sure to do this within thirty days of your injury, unless your recuperation has rendered you unable to make such a communication.

In the event that your employer lacks North Carolina workers’ compensation insurance, do you have any recourse to collect benefits?

Yes. First of all, the North Carolina Industrial Commission’s fraud hotline should be notified. You can call toll free at (888) 891-4895 or email a government representative at If you’ve been injured and then you discover that your employer lacks insurance, contact the Commission. You’ll likely have to fill out two forms — Form 33 and Form 18 — to attempt to collect benefits.

More Web Resources

North Carolina Industrial Commission

NC Workers Compensation Act